Home Owner Grant

Home-Owner-Grant-button copyThe Home Owner Grant program is a property tax relief program to assist eligible owners reduce the burden of residential property taxes, firstly school taxes. It is administered by the Province of BC.

An owner together with his/her spouse qualifies for a Provincial Home Owner Grant for only one residence in any one calendar year.

The Home Owner Grant must be claimed by the Tax Due Date to avoid penalty. To obtain the grant, you must complete the application either online or via phone.

Unclaimed grants constitute unpaid current taxes and are subject to penalties. A ten percent (10%) penalty will be applied on the amount of the unclaimed Home Owner Grant. To avoid the penalty on Grant portion of your taxes, the Home Owner Grant must be claimed even if a payment on outstanding taxes is not made. If you require assistance, please contact the Property Tax Department at 250-783-9901.

If your mortgage company or other agent pays your property taxes, it is your responsibility to claim the grant by completing the grant application.

Who Qualifies?

For the Basic Grant:

  • You are a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant and ordinarily reside in British Columbia.
  • You are the registered owner or eligible occupant of the home. The home must be located within the province.
  • The home is your principal residence -where you live and conduct your daily activities. The grant does not apply to summer cottages, second homes or rental properties.
  • Spouses who live together, including those who are married or who live together in a marriage-like relationship, including same-gender partners, can qualify for a grant on only one residence in the province in a calendar year.
  • Spouses who live apart can each claim a grant on their principal residence if they have a written separation agreement or a court order recognizing the separation

For the Additional Grant:

To be eligible for the additional grant, you must meet the criteria for the basic grant, plus one of the following:

  • You are 65 or older. If your home is jointly owned, only one owner must be 65 to qualify. The qualifier’s birth date and signature must be included on the application
  • You receive a disability allowance under the Employment and Assistance for Persons with Disabilities Act. You must provide a Consent for Release of Information form (Form Number FIN 81), signed by you and your Ministry of Social Development representative, verifying you are receiving these benefits.
  • You are permanently disabled or you have a disabled spouse or relative residing with you permanently. A signed medical certificate (FORM B, Form Number FIN 74) completed by your physician must be attached to the grant application, along with the photocopies of receipts supporting the costs incurred as identified in section B(i) and (ii) of the Form B.

Note: Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits do not qualify.

  • You are a veteran or spouse of a veteran who served in World War I, World War II or the Korean War, receiving an allowance under the War Veterans Allowance Act (Canada) or the Civilian War-related Benefits Act (Canada).

Veterans must attach a confirmation letter from Veterans Affairs Canada to the application. Surviving spouses of deceased veterans who received either allowance at the time of death also qualify.